Thursday, June 01, 2006

One Hundred Words About A Birthday

 

Thirty-three years ago today I bought my first LP.

It was June the first 1973, my fourteenth birthday and I asked my father if he would buy me Aladdin Sane the new record from David Bowie. I had already bought two singles by Bowie, Starman and John I’m Only Dancing. And had only recently realised they were by the same singer. And then Radio One previewed his new LP.

There was something delicious and different about this music. But more than this, this music was mine. I drenched myself in it for months until it became part of my soul. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday David! by the way, you are 47, how do I know this? I am 45! "OOh I love a lad insane" XXX

Anonymous said...

I like this one in particular, mainly beacuse i can identify with it.

I love this bit

"I drenched myself in it for months until it became part of my soul"

Post a Comment