Wednesday, June 17, 2020

20 albums in 20 days Sir Yehudi Menuhin conducts Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme by Tallis and other works

I've been nominated to post 20 album covers in 20 days to Facebook. The FB posts should be posted without explanation or commentary. But I've been a little distracted lately. So I've failed the deadline. However, this seems a suitable distraction. The 20 album covers represent music that has had a significant impact on my life. No explanations or commentary is expected. However, this blog seems a suitable place to make a few comments and explanations on the album.


I can't remember where I first heard this album. Here are two possible sources and one memory - it's possibly faulty but possible.

A friend gave me three albums. This was one of them. She didn't explain why she gave them to me. She thought I'd like them.

Katy's mother had this album on vinal. 

I think I first heard Vaughan Williams's Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis at my cousin's bedroom. It was late. We were ready for bed. I was on the floor on a mattress. Jeff got out of his bed and put on this piece of music. I didn't know what it was called but I remember hearing a sudden rain of violins, followed by a pause, a plucked bass and then gradually drifting into sleep as the strings wove in and out. Lulled me into sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment