Wednesday, June 17, 2020

20 albums in 20 days The Well Tempered Clavier by J. S. Bach performed by Glen Gould

I've been nominated to post 20 album covers in 20 days to Facebook. But I've been a little distracted lately. So I've failed the deadline. However, this seems a suitable distraction. The 20 album covers represent music that has had a significant impact on my life. No explanations or commentary is expected. However, this blog seems a suitable place to make a few comments and explanations on the album. This was the last album posted to the 20 albums in 20 days challenge.



One day Stephen came home with me from work. He was probably going to stay for dinner. The house was empty. Katy, Iona and Arran were out somewhere. They weren't going to be back for a while. 

We wanted to listen to the new CD I'd bought. Stephen knew this music. I was a stranger to it. I'd been introduced to it and was gradually getting to know it.

Stephen suggested we play the music loudly and lie down on the floor to listen to The Well-Tempered Clavier. 

So we made ourselves comfortable, lay down and closed our eyes in front of the speakers and heard the whole piece from beginning to end. We didn't talk. Heard the music in our ears, felt the music pulsating through the floorboards.

It was an electrifying experience.

Click here to watch and hear Glen Gould play a brief extract from the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment