Sunday, March 22, 2020

20 Albums in 20 days Dances of Dowland Julian Bream

When I was in my mid-teens my cousin Jeff invited me to stay with him. It might have been a couple of times over a few years.
I can't remember much about what we did during the day. Once he took me to see the new Monty Python film, Monty Python and the Holy Grail. That was my first encounter with Monty Python. It was 1975. I thought that film was amazing. Another time he took me to a folk club where I heard Leon Russelson and Roy Baily sing. I remember one of them singing, The Rose of York. And another song, I Don't Want to Die.
But late at night in his bedroom, he played me music. He played this once. I've never forgotten it. I have it on vinyl, CD and on a Spotify playlist. It's one of my Desert Island Discs.

Click here to hear Dances of Dowland

Click here for Leon Russelson singing, The Rose of York.

No comments:

Post a Comment