Tuesday, March 10, 2020

20 albums in 20 days Prayer of the Heart John Taverner

I was nominated to post 20 album covers in 20 days to Facebook by a friend. The albums posted have had a big impact on my life. No explanations or commentaries are expected. However, it did seem appropriate to make a comment or two on this blog.

Image result for John Taverner portrait cover

The copy of the CD I have was filched from my very good friend Alex. In exchange I gave him my copy of Arvo Part A Portrait. A reasonable swap I think. He told me to listen out for Prayer of the Heart.
I kept the CD in my collection but didn't play it for over a year. Then one day I came in from college flung my bag onto the sofa and picked the CD up from the shelf. Katy was at work and a friend from church was in the house doing some DIY in the hall.
I played Prayer of the Heart first. I sat down and just listened. By the time Bjork's voice began I was completely hooked. But then her voice - I was mesmerized. Then taken onto an even deeper level with her heavily accented English. I was completely blown away by the piece.
When it finished I sat speechless and in wonder. My friend came into the room. Tears in his eyes, exclaiming, "What the fuck was that!"

Here's a link to the piece John Taverner wrote for Bjork. Click here. Mind-blowing!!



No comments:

Post a Comment