Tuesday, February 18, 2020

20 albums in 20 days - Aladdin Sane David Bowie

I was nominated by a friend to post 20 album covers that have had an impact on my life to Facebook. They're to be posted over 20 days. No explanations are expected. Just the album covers. However, perhaps my blog might be the place to write a comment or two. Here's the first album.



This was the first album I ever bought. A birthday present from my dad in June 1973. I'd bought the single Starman in 1972. I bought it after that performance on Top of the Pops on the 6 July 1972. In September I bought John I'm Only Dancing, not realising it was by the same artist. Then in April 1973, there was a programme on Radio 1 that featured a new album by David Bowie. It was Aladdin Sane. I recorded the programme.
My birthday was coming up and I asked my Dad if he'd buy me Aladdin Sane for my birthday. I think it cost £2.30. He gave me the money to buy the album. I bought the album and loved it from the start. I remember one day probably a Sunday my dad came in and listened to a bit of the album with me. After listening for a while he left the room saying something like. I expect that's the last record you buy that sounds like that.  
Buying Aladdin Sane confirmed that I was a David Bowie fan. It was through this album that I discovered a love for lyrics. The lyrics mesmerized me. Soon after I started writing poetry. I still am.

No comments:

Post a Comment