Thursday, February 27, 2020

20 albums in 20 days The Enchanted Garden by the John Renbourne Group

I've been nominated by a friend to post 20 album covers in 20 days, to Facebook, of records that have had a big impact on my life. No explanations or commentary expected. However, I thought this blog might be a place to record a comment or two. I got distracted for almost a week by OFSTED and a sermon I had to write and then deliver. Anyway, I'm not keeping to the 20 days deadline here.


When I was at Hatfield Polytechnique I made friends with Keith Badham. He lived on my corridor in Halls. He set up a folk club at the Polytechnique and he played and introduced me to some folk music. One night he played me this record. I totally fell in love with it the first time I heard it. The album also contains some French early music court dances. I've enjoyed early music really from this point on.
I saw John Renbourne in concert twice. A fantastic sound.

Click here for a link to one of my favourite tracks. Jacqui McShea's voice, the whole group just play together beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment